James M. Golden
888-284-0809 (Toll Free)
James Golden is a Senior Trial Attorney with extensive experience in complex business litigation, consumer-financial services litigation, toxic tort litigation, environmental litigation, class actions, and appellate practice.
Mr. Golden was first admitted to practice law in Illinois in 2005, and was admitted to practice in California in 2012. Mr. Golden received his undergraduate degree from Dartmouth College in 2002, and his J.D. in 2005 from the University of Chicago. Before joining Callahan & Blaine, Mr. Golden was a Member at Dykema Gossett LLP, and a litigation associate at Kirkland & Ellis, LLP.
Throughout his career, Mr. Golden has assisted businesses ranging from Fortune 500 companies to local small businesses navigate legal issues from before the onset of litigation, through trial, and on appeal. Mr. Golden has successfully disposed of numerous actions through dispositive motions pre-trial. Mr. Golden also has participated in numerous trials, including second-chairing a two-week preliminary injunction hearing in a company's action for misappropriation of trade secrets.
Mr. Golden's representative matters include the following:
- Represented financial institutions in state and federal courts and on appeal in consumer-finance individual and class actions focused on TILA, RESPA, FDCPA, other consumer-protection statutes, contested foreclosures, and complex commercial litigation matters.
- Represented manufacturer of antenna products in action against former employee and employee's new employer for misappropriation of trade secrets. Successfully obtained preliminary injunction barring further misappropriation after two-week trial.
- Represented manufacturer in California state court in lawsuit arising out of former operations in the 1950s through 1970s. Successfully moved for summary adjudication on all causes of action.
- Represented agricultural company at trial in insurance coverage dispute over recall insurance policy.
- Defended former owner and operator of vermiculite mine against criminal allegations it placed nearby residents in imminent danger of contacting asbestos-related diseases.
- Represented former operators of nuclear weapons plant at trial and on appeal against class claims by neighboring landowners.
- Represented property owner in disputes with tenants, including pre-litigation and during litigation.
- Represented restaurant owner in ownership and trademark disputes with former business partners.
- Advised financial institutions and captive-finance companies on compliance with state and federal laws governing automotive finance, including Retail Installment Sales Contracts and lease requirements, repossession laws, consumer credit insurance, vehicle installment sales contracts, insurance requirements, and tax laws.
- General corporate representation of local business engaged in plastic waste recycling and sales.
Areas of Practice
- Complex Business Litigation
- Contract Law
- Property Law
- Mass Torts and Environmental Law
- Consumer Financial Services
- Automotive Finance
- Class Actions
- Appellate Practice
- Illinois, 2005
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 2005
- U.S. District Court Central District of Illinois, 2007
- U.S. District Court District of Colorado, 2008
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 2008
- U.S. Court of Appeals 10th Circuit, 2008
- California, 2012
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- University of Chicago Law School, Chicago, Illinois
- J.D. - 2005
- Dartmouth College
- B.A. cum laude - 2000
- Major: English
- Introduction to Consumer Automotive Finance Law, Consumer Financial Services Answer Book, Practicing Law Institute (2014 and 2015)
- Truth in Lending Act, Consumer Financial Services Answer Book, Practicing Law Institute (2011-2015)
- The Foreclosure Firestorm: “Robo-Signing” Allegations Have More Bark Than Bite, 67 Bus. Laws 649 (Feb. 2012)
- The End of the Beginning in the Battle Over MERS, Consumer Finance Law Quarterly Report Vol. 65 Nos. 3 and 4 (Fall-Winter 2011) (cited in Knox v. Countrywide Bank, 4 F. Supp. 3d 499, 506 (E.D.N.Y. 2014)
Past Employment Positions
- Kirkland & Ellis LLP in Chicago, Associate , 2005 - 2009
- Dykema Gossett, LLP, Litigation Associative, 2009-2014
- Dykema Gossett, LLP, Member, 2014-2016