Rear-End car crashes are among the most common types of accidents on the road. Tailgating, following too close for conditions, can end in fender benders or far more serious accidents. If you are involved in a rear-end car accident, we would like to offer you some suggestions on how to handle it.
Immediately Following the Car Accident
When you are involved in a rear-end car accident, your next steps are critical. Listed below are some actions that can be particularly helpful if you need to file an insurance claim and for your overall well-being:
- Call 911. Let emergency services know there has been an accident and describe the injuries and the number of vehicles involved.
- If you are able, photograph the scene. Include the injuries of you and your passengers, the vehicle damage, and the road conditions.
- Notice if there might be security cameras that could have caught the accident on video.
- Exchange information with the other drivers at the scene. This should include tag numbers, driver’s license information, insurance information, and contact details.
- Get the names and contact information of anyone who witnessed the accident.
- When questioned by law enforcement, cooperate but do not offer extra information. Answer the questions you are asked, but avoid additional commentary.
- Refrain from apologizing or taking responsibility when talking to anyone at the scene.
- Seek medical attention, even if you do not feel that you are injured. Injuries are not always evident immediately following an accident. Get checked out by a doctor and proceed with any follow-up care suggested.
- Contact your insurance company and explain to them the details of the accident.
- Get a copy of the police report.
- Contact a personal injury attorney.
In the Days and Weeks That Follow
In the days and weeks that follow a rear-end car accident, there are some actions you can take that will be in your best interest. These are as follows:
- If you were treated for injuries, be sure and do all follow-up care and therapy that is suggested, this will prove to the court that you took the injuries you sustained seriously.
- Keep all of your medical bills and receipts demonstrating your out-of-pocket expenses.
- Document the repairs or replacement of your automobile.
- Note any other property damage you sustained and how much it costs to fix it.
- Avoid discussing the accident on social media. If you say the wrong thing, it could be used against you in court.
- Monitor your health closely.
- Follow doctor’s orders.
Consider Hiring a Rear-End Car Accident Attorney
If you have been in a rear-end car accident, you may benefit from legal representation. There are several reasons you might consider hiring an attorney. These are as follows:
- Liability issues, particularly establishing fault
- Dealing with the involved insurance companies
- Recovering compensation for medical expenses
- To recover lost wages and other expenses related to the accident
- Negotiating a fair settlement for you
- To represent you if negotiations fail and litigation occurs
Reach Out Today
Hiring a skilled Santa Ana car accident lawyer following a rear-end car accident will protect your legal rights while providing compensation for injuries and damages you may have sustained. The experienced car accident attorneys in Santa Ana are ready to investigate your accident, negotiate with insurance companies and work diligently so that you are treated fairly throughout.