Are Slip and Fall Injuries Covered by Homeowners Insurance?

If you or a loved one have been injured in a slip and fall accident while visiting somebody else’s home, you may be wondering what your next steps need to be. You likely have incoming medical bills, and you may not be able to work due to your slip and fall injuries. You need to know what route to take to obtain compensation for your losses. Will the property owner’s homeowner’s insurance cover your slip and fall accident expenses? There are a number of issues that come into play concerning this type of coverage. Read on to learn whether or not slip and fall injuries are covered by homeowners insurance and if you have any further questions, speak with a qualified slip and fall lawyer in Irvine.

Is There Homeowner’s Insurance Coverage?

The first thing a slip and fall injury victim will need to determine is whether or not the property owner has homeowner’s insurance at all. In most cases, homeowners do have this type of insurance. However, you need to be aware that if a homeowner owns their property free and clear, meaning that they do not have a mortgage, it is possible that they do not have insurance coverage on the property.

Report the Injury to the Insurer

Any slip and fall injury victim needs to report the injury to the homeowner’s insurance carrier as soon as possible. Waiting too long to file a claim could lead to the insurer thinking that the claim is not legitimate. You should ask the homeowner for the name of their insurance carrier as soon as the slip and fall incident occurs or as soon as you think that your injuries may be significant.

What if the Homeowner Is Reluctant to Go Through Their Insurer?

Do not be surprised if a homeowner is reluctant to have you file a claim with their insurance carrier. Insurance carriers are typically “for-profit” companies that do not like to pay out money for a claim. It is not uncommon for a homeowner’s insurance carrier to cancel coverage even after one claim has been made. That could leave many homeowners reluctant to file a report, even for legitimate claims.

If you slip and fall and are injured on another person’s property, and you think that the homeowner has insurance but they refuse to tell you who the insurer is, the only way to obtain this information will be to file a lawsuit against the homeowner and demand that the information be turned over.

A Personal Injury Claim Against the Homeowner

A personal injury claim against a homeowner is similar to claims made against vehicle drivers in the aftermath of an accident. After a claim has been reported to the insurance carrier, the carrier will assign an insurance claims adjuster to the case. The adjuster will contact all parties involved to get their version of the story.

This is where you should step back and consider seeking assistance from a personal injury lawyer. Insurance claims adjusters have one goal in mind – to limit the amount of money they pay out in a settlement. They will try to get you to say things in a statement that could be used against you. The adjuster will ask for your statement and will want to see the documentation of your medical bills and proof of any other losses you have incurred, including lost wages, general household out-of-pocket expenses, and more.

After you have completed your medical treatment for your slip and fall injuries, the adjuster will try to settle your claim. If you and the insurance carrier are unable to reach a fair settlement agreement, it may be necessary to file a lawsuit against the homeowner.