Javier H. van Oordt is a principal at Callahan and Blaine who counsels and represents diverse clients in complex and high value business litigation. He has significant trial and arbitration experience in contract, business fraud, employment, products liability, property, class action and personal injury litigation. He successfully managed international discovery efforts in business litigation involving large multi-national defendants and has taken depositions throughout the world. He is also the firm’s delegate to the International Law Firms (ILF), an international association of independent law firms throughout the world.
Mr. van Oordt has also appeared and successfully argued cases before the California Court of Appeals, Second District. He has published articles on international business litigation and spoken on the subject. He has also published articles in the Los Angeles Daily Journal and Employment Practices Liability Consultant on employment issues, as well as speaking on these topics.
Prior to becoming an attorney, Mr. van Oordt worked in the aerospace industry for the Northrop Corporation. He held different management positions while at the Electronics and Aircraft Divisions and was engaged in a number of high tech military projects. His experience extends to the areas of design and manufacture of complex electronic and electro mechanical systems, as well as information technology development.
Mr. van Oordt was born in Lima, Peru and is fluent in Spanish. He attended California State University, Fullerton, receiving his B.A. in Business Administration in 1982. He received a J.D. from the University of California, Hastings College of the Law in 1996. While at Hastings, he served as the Associate Executive Editor, Hastings Constitutional Law Quarterly and was a research assistant to Academic Dean Leo Martinez. Mr. Van Oordt is admitted to practice in all state courts in California and in the United States District Court, Central and Northern Districts of California.
Before joining Callahan and Blaine, Mr. van Oordt was associated with Klinedinst P.C. in Santa Ana, California and Carl R. Stevens & Associates in Irvine, California. He is a member of the American Bar Association and Orange County Bar Association.
- Obtained six-figure settlement for homeowner from HOA for selective enforcement lawsuit regarding placement of Weber BBQ. Confidential (2018).
- Settled multi-million dollar class action lawsuit against major utility company for damages to property owners for water contamination. Confidential (2017).
- Reversed mistrial order in underlying case and tried to a jury the punitive damages phase of a personal injury action resulting in a judgment in excess of $7 million. Epps v. Barajas (2015).
- Defended a breach of commission case in bench trial where the plaintiff claimed over $1 million in damages plus treble damages and attorney’s fees, resulting in a defense judgment. Howard v. Bailey (2015).
- Won three-day binding arbitration concerning breach of contract dispute resulting in a $715,000 judgment including attorney’s fees and costs and initiated enforcement proceeding resulting in full recovery for client. Sun Life Funding v. Andalib (April 2011).
- Obtained successful outcomes in eighteen binding contractual arbitrations with total value of judgment rendered in excess of $1,975,000. Multiple cases (May 2005 – October 2010).
- Managed class action and obtained class certification in a wage and hour lawsuit involving 5,000 class members that settled for $36,000,000 after a two month trial. Gonzalez v. Freedom Communications (November 2008).
- Successfully represented land business client in obtaining TRO and preliminary injunction based on misappropriation/fraud claims shutting down competing business. LandAuction.com v. Girk (September 2007).
- Managed international and national discovery efforts in breach of contract/fraud case eventually resulting in a jury verdict in excess of $5,000,000. Sourcing Link v. Carrefour (May 2006).
- Defended claim in binding arbitration in an employment contract dispute between principals for deferred compensation and was awarded attorney’s fees. Dandashi v. KDM Meridian (2003).
- Successfully represented furniture importer/assembler in potential multimillion dollar lawsuit injury trial in products liability case at Civil Cental West resulting in a verdict with nuisance value damages where client admitted liability. Lieberman v. Seven Seas Rattan, Los Angeles Daily Journal, Verdicts & Settlements (April 12, 2002).
- Obtained summary judgment for general contractor in wrongful death claim arising from a crane section falling and killing a construction worker. Corder v. Hilton Hotels (2000).
- Defeated Hague Convention Request by Orange County District Attorney for client to avoid return to Mexico to face abuse from husband. Pro Bono basis (2000).
- Successfully represented third party property owner in million dollar lawsuit through jury trial resulting in a defense verdict in premises liability/OSHA violation case in Norwalk, CA. Pescasio v. Slotkin, et al. (February 22, 1999).
- Briefed and argued appeal before the Second Appellate District of Plaintiff’s appeal of granting of summary judgment resulting in affirmation of lower court ruling. Koontz v. Sheldon Park Homeowners Assoc., et al. (1999).
- Briefed and argued appeal before the Second Appellate District of Plaintiff’s appeal of granting of summary judgment resulting in affirmation of lower court ruling. Kelleher v. Unity Mgmt. (1998).
- The National Trial Lawyers Top 100 – Civil Plaintiff 2019
- Southern California Super Lawyer – 2010-2020
- J. H. van Oordt “Biological Peril: How Should Employers Respond To The Anthrax Threat,” Los Angeles Daily Journal (November 29, 2001).
- J. H. van Oordt & David Monks “Building Blocks of Enforceability: Constructing Valid Pre-dispute Arbitration Agreements” Employment Practices Liability Consultant (Winter 2002).
- J. H. van Oordt “Thorough Sexual Harassment Investigation Can Limit Liability” Los Angeles Daily Journal (July 29, 2002).
- J. H. van Oordt “The Full Court Press on Employee Misclassification” Orange County Business Journal (June 28, 2010).
- 5th Annual Klinedinst Employment Symposium – Staying Ahead of the Curve: A Day of lnteractive Processes, Topics: “Workplace Investigations” (January, 2003).
- Southern California ACCA presentation – The Five Hottest Litigation Issues Facing Litigation Counsel, Topic: “Litigating with Foreign Companies” co-presenter Hon. Thierry Colaw (August 2006).
- Orange County Trial Lawyers Association Monthly Meeting – “Get those Documents” co-presenter Hon. Robert Thomas (ret.) (July 2010).
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, Member
- Orange County Bar Association, Member (Business Litigation and International Law Sections)
- Hispanic Bar Association, Member
- Orange County Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- Celtic Bar Association, Member
- International Law Firms (ILF), Member
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers, Member
- California Lawyers Association, Member (Business Law Litigation)
- I’Padrini di Antonello Charity, Member – 2014-2020
- I’Padrini di Antonello Charity, Director – 2018-2020
- I’Padrini di Antonello Charity, Secretary and Director – 2019-2020
Past Employment Positions
- Klinedinst P.C., Santa Ana, California, Associate
- Carl R. Stevens & Associates, Irvine, California, Associate Northrop Corporation, Program Manager