Mr. Bauman has successfully litigated and resolved a number of high profile cases through the courts, arbitration, and mediation. Mr. Bauman provides an aggressive, strategic, and creative litigation solution.
Some of Mr. Bauman’s more notable cases include:
Callan vs. Marlborough Seaview Estates HOA: Mr. Bauman was instrumental in defending his client and designing a deal that resolved a 30-year-old blight and $30 million litigation, with minimal contribution from his client. The case involved a complex landslide that affected numerous homes above the Shorecliffs Golf Course in San Clemente, California.
Private Company vs. Premier Power Renewable Energy, Inc.: Mr. Bauman arbitrated this case on behalf of the building owner against a multinational solar energy firm and obtained an exceptional recovery for his client, and enforced the arbitration award in the Los Angeles Superior Court. The case involved a commercial dispute over the sale, design, and installation of a 42-kilowatt photovoltaic solar energy system.
County of San Luis Obispo vs. Kajima Construction Services: Mr. Bauman defended the structural steel subcontractor and resolved the case for a de minimis amount. The case involved a San Luis Obispo public works construction lawsuit for several million dollars brought by the County against general contractor Kajima Construction Services and several subcontractors.
City & County of San Francisco vs. Competent Builders: Mr. Bauman successfully represented the general contractor in two lawsuits brought by the City and County of San Francisco and bonding companies over public work construction projects involving the historic Japantown Peace Plaza and Portsmouth Square Plaza. Claims totaled more than $5 million and were resolved for substantially less.
Additionally, Mr. Bauman has represented individuals, families, partnerships, corporations, homeowners associations, and design professionals in a wide variety of real estate, business, insurance, and construction-related matters; resolving contentious claims against his clients for minimal payments, shifting liability to others through indemnity mechanisms, and recovering millions of dollars in plaintiff claims.
Certified Legal Specialties
- Pepperdine Center for Entrepreneurship and the Law, 2003
- Pepperdine’s Strauss Institute of Dispute Resolution, 2003
- Contract Disputes and Prevailing Party Attorneys Fees in California, Business Exchange, 2013
- Can an Intervening Insurance Company Sue for Breach of Contract, Martindale-Hubbell Publication, 2013
- Laying Foundation for Meta Data and Websites, California Business Law Report, 2013
- Disclosing Lawsuits to Buyers of Residential Property, California Business Law Report, 2013
- Judicial Fact-Finding Increasing in Class Action Certification Hearings, California Business Law Report, 2013
- Precision Required for Government Tort Claims Act, California Business Law Report, 2013
- New Benefit and Special Purpose Corporations, Martindale-Hubbell Publication, 2012
- Classifying Insurance Agents and Salespeople, Martindale-Hubbell Publication, 2012
- Re-branding Can Be a Useful Tool for Business, Recharge Asia Publication, 2012
- Canon and Lexmark Litigation Lead To Uncertainty in Print Toner/Cartridge Industry, Recharge Asia Publication, 2012
- Digital Risk Management Strategies for Business, California Business Law Report, 2012
- IP Trends in Aftermarket Imaging, SF Gate Publication, 2012
- Development in Social Media Discovery, JD Supra Law News, 2012
- Speaker, Claims and Litigation Management Alliance Construction, Environmental, Alternative Dispute Resolution, and Alternative Fee
Arrangement Conference: Strategies for Effectively Managing Construction Defect Litigation, 2013
- Speaker, Recharge Asia Conference: Risk Management through Business Planning, 2012
- Speaker, Private Forum: Insurance Claims Handling for Construction Disputes, 2011
- Speaker, Construction Webinar: Current Trends in Construction Litigation, 2011
- Speaker, Private Forum: Current Construction Litigation & Trends, 2007
Honors and Awards
- AV- Preeminent Peer Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of California, Member
- California Building Industry Association, Member
- Claims & Litigation Management Alliance, Fellow
- American Bar Association, Member
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Member
- Orange County Bar Association, Member
- Beverly Hills Bar Association
- California Bar Association
Past Employment Positions
- Tharpe & Howell, LLP, Senior Associate, Commercial Litigation, 2003 – 2013
- Consultant for Green Energy & Efficiency Products Companies