Throughout his career, Daniel J. Callahan has always been known as one of the top trial attorneys in California. His notable jury verdicts included a $934,000,000 jury verdict obtained after a three-month jury trial in a complex business dispute entitled Beckman Coulter vs. Flextronics. This unanimous verdict was the largest in California in 2003 and remains the largest in Orange County history.
Mr. Callahan also went on to obtain a $50,000,000 settlement in a road design case against the City of Dana Point. Exclusive of large class actions, this continues to be the largest personal injury settlement in United States history.
Mr. Callahan also obtained, after a two-month jury trial, a $38 Million settlement on behalf of a class of newspaper delivery drivers against The Orange County Register. This is still the highest employment settlement in Orange County’s history.
Mr. Callahan grew up in Chicago, Illinois where he went on to receive his BA, magna cum laude, from Western Illinois University in 1976, and graduated with honors from the UC Davis School of Law in 1979, while serving as Editor of the Law Review. He began his career in Hawaii before relocating to Southern California and starting his own firm by opening the doors on St. Patrick’s Day, 1984. Mr. Callahan also provides corporate consulting to law firms and lawyers regarding litigation and strategy through Callahan Consulting Group, LLC.
Among his many accomplishments over the last 42 years of practice:
- Won the Largest Jury Verdict in Orange County History – $934 Million.
- Obtained the Highest Personal Injury Settlement in the history of the United States – $50 Million.
- Obtained the highest Insurance Bad Faith Judgment in Orange County History – $58 Million.
- Obtained the Largest Employment Judgment in Orange County History – $38 Million.
- Named One of the Top 10 Attorneys in the United States by National Law Journal.
- Voted California Business Trial Lawyer of the Year by California Lawyer Magazine.
- Named One of Top 10 Lawyers in Southern California by Super Lawyers.
- Winner of the Prestigious OCTLA Trial Lawyer of the Year Award – 2000, 2004 and 2012.
- Received Commendation Resolution from California Legislature Assembly, 2013.
- Received Commendation Resolution from California Senate, 2014.
- Presented Angelo Palmeri Award by the Robert A. Banyard Inns of Court, 2010.
- 2010 Visionary Award presented by Orange Coast College.
- Best Lawyers in America, 2005 to 2021.
- Super Lawyers, Named One of The Top 100 Lawyers in Southern California – 2011 to 2021.