David E. Hayen is an experienced civil litigator, specializing in complex litigation, including personal injury, contract disputes, intellectual property claims, including unfair competition, trade secrets, and trademarks, and insurance litigation. Mr. Hayen has also specialized in the arbitration and mediation of personal injury, commercial, employment, and insurance matters, having served as an arbitrator and mediator with The Center for ADR, the American Arbitration Association and Judicate West.
Mr. Hayen attended law school at the University of California, Los Angeles, where he was a member of the UCLA Law Review. He graduated from the University of Washington with degrees in Economics, Business Administration and Philosophy.
For ten years, Mr. Hayen was Assistant General Counsel for Aramark Inc., where he assisted clients in various industries, including the magazine and publishing industry, the transportation, the uniform rental and food service industries. Mr. Hayen supervised litigation matters, including personal injury matters, negotiated and drafted trade secret, service mark and patent license agreements, drafted complex agreements for the purchase of computer hardware and software and represented Aramark before various governmental agencies.
Mr. Hayen is a member of the Los Angeles County Bar Association (“LACBA”) and Century City Bar Associations (“CCBA”). For the CCBA, Mr. Hayen was the Founding Chair of the Alternative Dispute Resolution Section and Chair from 1997–1999; and Chair of the Corporate Law Section from 1983-1986. For the LACBA, Mr. Hayen was a Founding Member of the Alternative Dispute Resolution Executive Committee.
Selected Speaking Engagements: Continuing Education of the Bar panelist, “Contractual Arbitration” and “Judicial Arbitration.” LACBA panelist, “Evaluating Cases for ADR-The State of the Art.” CCBA Corporate Law Section, “Employee Termination.” LACBA Real Property Section panelist, “Aftershocks-What Litigators and Real Estate Attorneys Need to Know About the Northridge Quake.” LACBA Construction Litigation Section panelist, “The Availability of Attorney’s Fees Under the AIA Form Contract.” Panelist or Moderator for eighteen CCBA Corporate Law Section Programs, including, “The Art of Legal Negotiation” and “Negotiating and Enforcing Computer Contracts.”
Mr. Hayen has also traveled extensively and is a member of the Explorers Club and Adventurers club of Los Angeles. Mr. Hayen is also a past and present Board Member of the Ethnic Arts Council of Los Angeles.
- Founding Editor and Publisher, The ADR Reporter
- Bar Panelist, “Contractual Arbitration” and “Judicial Arbitration”, Continuing Education
- Panelist “Evaluating Cases for ADR-The State of the Art”, LACBA
- Panelist, “Employee Termination”, CCBA Corporate Law Section
- Panelist, “Aftershocks-What Litigators and Real Estate Attorneys Need to Know About the Northridge Quake”, LACBA Real Property Section
- Panelist, “The Availability of Attorney’s Fees Under the AIA Form Contract”, LACBA Construction Litigation Section
- Panelist and Moderator, “The Art of Legal Negotiation”, CCBA Corporate Law Section Program
- Panelist and Moderator, “Negotiating and Enforcing Computer Contracts”, CCBA Corporate Law Section Program
Honors and Awards
- Recipient, Distinguished Service Award, CCBA, 1997 – 1999
- Recipient, Distinguished Service Award, CCBA, 1985 – 1988
- Recipient, Award for Service in the Mandatory Fee Arbitration Program, State Bar of California, 1984
- Recipient, “Superb,” Highest Attorney Rating by Avvo
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Member
- Century City Bar Association, Member
- Orange County Bar Association, Member
- Century City Bar Association, Alternative Dispute Resolution Section, Founding Chair
- Century City Bar Association, Chair, 1997 – 1999
- Century City Bar Association, Corporate Law Section, Chair, 1983 – 1986
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Founding Member, Alternative Dispute Resolution Executive Committee
- Administration of Civil Justice, Member, State Bar Standing Committee, 1993 – 1995
- Institute for Corporate Counsel, Member, Board of Advisors, 1984 – 1986
- Century City Bar Association, Member, Board of Governors, 1983 – 1986
- California State Bar Conference of Delegates, Delegate, 1983 – 1986
- Los Angeles Ethnic Arts Society, Member, Board of Directors
- American Arbitration Association, Past Arbitrator and Mediator
- Judicate West, Past Arbitrator and Mediator – Personal Injury
- The Center for ADR, Arbitrator and Mediator – Personal Injury
Past Employment Positions
- Aramark Inc., Assistant General Counsel
- Quisenberry & Kabateck LLP