John D. Van Ackeren is a Senior Trial Attorney with Callahan & Blaine. Mr. Van Ackeren’s practice focuses on complex litigation matters, including business, insurance, and catastrophic personal injury matters. He has extensive experience litigating cases from inception through trial in state and federal courts around the country and all major arbitration tribunals. Throughout his career, Mr. Van Ackeren has successfully prosecuted and defended cases for clients ranging from individuals to Fortune 500 companies.
- Obtained arbitration award in favor of marketing firm and its owner on all counts in breach of contract, fraud, unfair business practices, and misappropriation of trade secrets case.
- Obtained multimillion dollar settlement for victim of maritime collision at pleading stage.
- Obtained multimillion dollar settlement for wrongful death claimants following close of evidence at trial.
- Obtained judgment in favor of bank and director clients on all counts in shareholder fraud class action following lengthy trial.
- Obtained $5.5 million in property coverage for consumer electronics distributor after its warehouse burned as a result of suspected arson without having to file suit.
- Resolved two audits on behalf of chiropractor in which six figure reimbursements by insurance companies were demanded resulting in one walk away and one nominal settlement.
- Successful defense of partner in multi-million dollar partnership dispute.
- Obtained six figure settlement for homeowner in HOA dispute after successfully opposing Anti-SLAPP motion.
- Obtained attorneys’ fee award in excess of $1.3 million dollars following trial.
- Obtained dismissal of real estate investor at pleading stage in breach of contract and fraud case.
- Obtained dismissal of commercial construction lender at pleading stage in fraud action.
- Litigated bad faith claims on behalf of policy holders with respect to property damage and loss caused by natural disaster, resulting in favorable settlements.
- Obtained summary judgment for construction products company in product liability action.
- Negotiated favorable settlement for majority shareholder in fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, and dissolution action.
- Negotiated nominal settlement for staffing company in multi-million dollar wage and hour class action
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2013 – 2018
Professional Associations and Memberships