Stephen Farkas is an experienced trial attorney who has tried cases before judges and juries in both state and federal court. Stephen has represented clients in a broad range of matters, including commercial disputes, trade secret litigation, covenants not to compete, unfair competition, defamation, trade libel, digital privacy, breach of fiduciary duties, breach of contract, product liability and anti-SLAPP law. He has represented multi-national clients and litigated cases in various high-risk jurisdictions throughout the country, including Connecticut, Illinois, Texas, Arizona, Nevada, and New York.
Stephen also has extensive experience in all forms of alternative dispute resolution and has achieved successful results for clients in arbitrations and mediations.
Some of Stephen’s most recent results include the following:
- Recovered over $750,000 for a medical device manufacturer through a breach of contract action.
- Obtained over $800,000 in restitution for a client in Connecticut District Court under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act.
- Won a six-figure verdict for a group of small business owners after a 3-day bench trial.
- Obtained summary judgment for the defendant on all claims in a case alleging fraudulent transfer of business assets valued in excess of $3,000,000.
- Successfully prosecuted claims on behalf of minority shareholders in corporate disputes, including obtaining an accounting on behalf of minority shareholders of a medical corporation.
- Negotiated resolution of all claims with the Federal Trade Commission on behalf of an individual who had been accused of false advertising.
- Defended an industrial valve manufacturer against product liability claims in a Federal MDL.
- Recovered inventory of specialized marine engine equipment for a finance company through a writ of possession.
- Represented residential and commercial landlords against breach of lease, breach of warranty and fraud claims.
- Represented clients in real estate disputes involving breach of contract, fraud and land use issues.
- Successfully defended a major fitness equipment manufacturer against multi-million dollar breach of warranty and product liability claims.
- Successfully defended a retail business owner against a sexual harassment claim by a former employee.
Prior to joining Callahan and Blaine, Stephen was an attorney at the international law firm of K&L Gates, LLP. At K&L Gates, Stephen was a member of the products liability and toxic tort practice group where he defended clients against claims of exposure to beryllium, manganese, benzene, and asbestos.
- Stephen Farkas, Unilateral Minority Protection by Kin-State Governments: A Comparison of the Slovak and Hungarian Status Law, 9 J. E. EUR. L. 341 (2002)
- Stephen Farkas, When Can The Government Take Private Property? U.S. Supreme Court Allows City To Take Land From One Private Party And Transfer It To Another, Walsworth, Franklin, Bevins & McCall Newsletter, Vol. 4, Issue, 4 (2005)
Honors and Awards
- Rising Star by Super Lawyers, 2009, 2010 and 2012
- The National Trial Lawyers – Top 100 Civil Plaintiff Attorneys
Professional Associations and Memberships