What Happens When Children Need Medical Aid After a Crash?

Getting into a vehicle accident can be terrifying, and this is particularly true if there are children inside the vehicle at the time the incident occurs. When children need medical care after a vehicle accident, receiving medical assistance is of the utmost importance. Here, we want to discuss some of the steps that need to be taken immediately and in the days that follow an accident when there are children involved.

Seek Immediate Medical Care

If you suspect that a child has been injured in a vehicle accident, you should call 911 or immediately go to an emergency room or emergency clinic near you. The signs and symptoms of injuries in children often manifest differently than they do in adults, particularly for younger children.

When we examine the information available from the Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, we can see that it is more difficult to ascertain injuries in infants and toddlers. Healthcare professionals recommend seeking medical care for a child even if you do not think they have sustained any type of injury after a vehicle accident. A doctor needs to conduct an evaluation of the child to be sure.

Follow the Doctor’s Instructions

Along with seeking an initial medical evaluation for a child after a vehicle accident, it is crucial for parents and guardians to follow the doctor’s guidance when it comes to treatment. If a child has sustained any type of injury, they will likely be treated and asked to follow up with a primary care physician. You should follow the instructions of the emergency room doctor and see your primary care physician. If you do not have a primary care physician, there is no harm in asking for a follow-up at a local rapid clinic that takes walk-ins.

Additionally, if you notice any worsening of symptoms, you need to take the child back to the emergency room or to an emergency clinic immediately.

Contact the Insurance Carrier

You will need to contact your vehicle insurance carrier and let them know about the incident. The medical treatment that your child needs will cost money, but if the accident was caused by the negligent actions of another party, you deserve compensation. When you file an insurance claim, your insurance carrier will, in turn, file a claim against the at-fault driver’s insurance carrier.

Continue all Ongoing Treatment Needs

It is not uncommon for people to want to discontinue medical treatment after they start to feel better. However, if you have filed an insurance claim against another driver or are considering filing a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault party, you need to continue all medical treatment recommended by your child’s doctor. Not only does this help ensure the well-being of your child, but it also shows the insurance carriers and other parties involved that you have continued treatment beginning from right after the initial incident. This establishes a good timeline and helps improve the chances of recovering fair compensation.

Contact a Car Accident Lawyer

You should reach out to a skilled car accident lawyer in Santa Ana who has extensive experience handling complex claims. You and your child deserve the compensation needed for the treatment they received, and the best way to move forward with a claim is with an attorney by your side. Your lawyer can investigate the incident, handle all communication with other parties involved, and work to negotiate with insurance carriers.

Related Firm News
Related Firm News

Stay Connected


Discussion of Potential Case

Fill out the form regarding your potential case.

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.