Wrongful death: how you can be compensated for losing a loved one

Most people have thought about what the effect would be on their family if they died a sudden and avoidable death. That is one of the reasons why so many people purchase life insurance, to avoid the negative effects that their untimely demise might otherwise have on their loved ones.

But what happens if the opposite of what we think about happens? What if it is one of our close family members who dies in an accident? What would be the effect on our lives?

Chances are good that much of what you would not want to happen to others close to you if you were to die from an accident would happen to you. You could suffer from the loss of that person’s income expectancy. You could be burdened with medical and funeral costs. Your children could feel the adverse consequences from a loss of parental support. All of these, and more, are forms of harm that are compensable in either a wrongful death or a survival action.

It is one thing to understand that a possibility exists, but another matter to contemplate how it would work. The statutory provisions of California law, with respect to legal actions that can be undertaken upon the loss of a loved one were written by lawyers for lawyers, and that can make them hard to understand and complicated to apply.

Fortunately, however, you do not need to become a legal expert to make the law work for you. The experienced Irvine wrongful death lawyers at Callahan & Blaine can be your advocates in a wrongful death or survival action.

Our firm has attorneys who are well versed in pursuing wrongful death claims. We understand the complexities of the statutes, so you can concentrate on what is most important to you as you cope with the loss of a family member.

If a loved one of yours has died as the result of a fatal accident, and you believe that the death was the result of a negligent or other wrongful act by someone else, then we encourage you to learn more about what you can do by contacting us to arrange for a no-cost consultation.