World-Class Trial Lawyers With a Focus on Insurance
California's Premier Insurance Litigation Firm: Callahan & Blaine Has Obtained Over $1 Billion for its Policy Holder Clients in the Last 20 Years
Callahan & Blaine has a nationwide reputation as one of the premier insurance litigation law firms in the United States. Under the leadership of the chair of its Insurance Law Department, Edward Susolik, Callahan & Blaine has been on the cutting edge of insurance law, insurance litigation and the representation of policyholder interests for over 30 years. Callahan & Blaine's successes and accomplishments in the area of insurance litigation include the following:
- Since the 1980's, Callahan & Blaine has obtained numerous precedent-setting appellate court victories which greatly expanded the availability of insurance coverage for policyholders, both corporate and individual. For example, in the 1995 opinion entitled Sentex v. Hartford, Callahan & Blaine successfully obtained insurance coverage for trade secret misappropriation claims. Likewise, Callahan & Blaine has obtained many successful appellate victories for the expansion of advertising injury coverage to include intellectual property disputes, including several court opinions which found that patent infringement was covered by advertising injury coverage.
- Callahan & Blaine has obtained over $1 billion in benefits for its corporate and individual policyholders during the last 20 years alone.
- Callahan & Blaine has successfully handled over 1,000 insurance bad faith lawsuits and disputes, including many seven-figure verdicts and settlements. In one case, Callahan & Blaine represented a Homeowners Association and obtained a settlement of over $8 million on behalf of the HOA and its homeowners.
- Callahan & Blaine frequently represents corporations and companies who are defendants in complex litigation disputes, including intellectual property claims, unfair competition, trade secret claims and numerous other litigation scenarios. Callahan & Blaine is able to use its insurance expertise to maximize the insurance coverage available to its corporate clients and obtain millions of dollars of insurance benefits, including successfully resolving the underlying business disputes using insurance company money.
Broad Spectrum of Insurance Disputes
Callahan & Blaine has a wide expertise in insurance coverage and bad faith litigation covering the full spectrum of insurance law. In addition to representing policyholders - both corporate and individual - Callahan & Blaine also has extensive experience in representation of insurance professionals, including agents, brokers and insurance companies in disputes within the insurance industry, including litigation with reinsurers, excess insurers and the Department of Insurance. Callahan & Blaine lawyers are also frequently called upon to render expert witness advice in litigation. Callahan & Blaine also has over 30 years experience in settling and mediating disputes, whether business or insurance-related disputes. Callahan & Blaine attorneys have successfully settled hundreds of cases because they understand that insurance settles cases.
Knowing Insurance Law Is Essential to a Complex Trial Practice
At Callahan & Blaine, our experience with insurance litigation helps our clients in many ways. In accident cases, we know how to locate and reach the coverage that can turn your proof of damages into an actual financial recovery. When a business client needs to defend a tort or contract claim, we not only work toward realizing the full benefit of your liability coverage, we also know how to pursue cross-claims, counterclaims and indemnification actions.
Putting All Available Coverage to Work for You in Orange County
Contact our office in Santa Ana to discuss your situation with a lawyer who understands insurance law. We're a litigation firm with a national reputation for pursuing and winning complex cases worth millions or hundreds of millions. Because the ultimate value of a settlement or verdict depends entirely on your ability to collect it, it's essential to establish an insurer's obligation to cover a claim.
Our ability to accurately analyze the insurance dimensions of any case we handle protects the value of plaintiffs' claims and the ability of defendants to litigate effectively. In many cases, our client is pursuing and defending claims in the same civil action. Our ability to create avenues of insurance coverage on all contested issues represents a major strength of our practice and a crucial benefit for our clients.
Edward Susolik and Daniel J. Callahan lead the insurance litigation practice at Callahan & Blaine. Mr. Susolik, an Adjunct Professor at the University of Southern California School of Law, teaches classes on insurance law and serves as an editor on the Rutter Group Guide to Insurance Litigation, the leading treatise on insurance law in California. Mr. Callahan was named one of the Top 10 Attorneys in the United States by the National Law Journal, and is recognized as one of America's preeminent trial lawyers on insurance coverage issues.
Callahan & Blaine's Trial Practice Covers the Full Spectrum of Insurance Law for Its Business and Policyholder Clients
Callahan & Blaine's litigation practice reflects our understanding of insurance law as it affects the interests of business and consumer clients. We handle:
- Bad faith insurance claims
- Litigation of insurance disputes
- First-party loss claims
- Third-party liability claims
- Coverage issues under personal policies: life insurance, disability insurance or medical insurance
- Holding the insurer to its duty to defend third-party claims
- Cumis counsel engagements when the interests of the insurer and the insured come into conflict
- Claims under professional liability policies or errors and omissions coverage
- Claims under directors and officers liability insurance policies
- Disputes over cancellation or rescission
- Advice for insurance brokers and agencies in civil actions or California regulatory proceedings
- Mediation and settlement of insurance disputes
- Coverage issues when multiple insurers are on the risk
- Bad faith insurance disputes, including wrongful failure to settle covered claims
We help clients get the coverage they need when they need it in a wide range of first-party and third-party scenarios: business torts involving unfair competition, advertising injury or trade secrets claims; disparagement or business interference claims; professional liability claims; breach of fiduciary duty claims; business interruption; construction defects; liability claims under homeowners policies and even fire, flood and earthquake claims.
Our clients range from individuals, closely held businesses and professional practice groups to Fortune 500 corporations. We also represent insurance professionals from agents to risk managers on matters ranging from business formation and regulatory compliance to complex coverage and reinsurance problems.
Callahan & Blaine represents corporate, small business, professional and individual clients in complex litigation and insurance disputes in Orange County and Southern California. To learn more how you can benefit from our ability to integrate sophisticated analysis of insurance coverage issues with superior trial skills, contact Callahan & Blaine at our office in Santa Ana, Orange County, California.Contact Us To Speak With A Trial Attorney Today