Mr. Harbur’s unique background combines representation of clients on some of the most complex civil and white collar matters with his extensive trial and courtroom experience. This combination enables him to expertly handle every stage of litigation, from early strategic decisions through closing argument in front of a jury.
Mr. Harbur believes that in order to most effectively represent clients in litigation, even in cases that ultimately settle, the attorney must have a deep understanding of every stage of the case – especially the pressures and unpredictability of trial. Mr. Harbur has tried more than 25 cases to jury verdict and achieved exceptional results in each case.
Mr. Harbur began his career at one of the nation’s preeminent law firms-Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP. At Gibson Dunn, he represented clients in both civil and criminal matters. For example, Mr. Harbur represented a major bank in multiple global regulatory and antitrust investigations, requiring him to help manage teams in the U.S., Zurich, London, Singapore, and Hong Kong. At the same time, he also represented local Orange County clients in financial, property, contract, and trade secret litigation.
As Mr. Harbur’s career progressed, he discovered that few business litigation attorneys have meaningful trial experience, which limits their ability to effectively strategize cases in the early stages of litigation. As a result, and in order to develop this critical skill set, he joined the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office, one of the largest prosecutorial agencies in the world. As a Deputy District Attorney, Mr. Harbur prosecuted numerous fast-paced and high-stakes cases, including business fraud, gang, and murder cases.
In one of Mr. Harbur’s most significant cases while at the District Attorney’s Office, he prosecuted a man for first-degree murder after he viciously killed the mother of two young children and left her body in an abandoned lot near Long Beach. After a contentious trial involving testimony from eyewitnesses, DNA/forensic experts, LAPD detectives, and others, Mr. Harbur delivered closing arguments to the 12-member jury. The jury took just 3 hours to convict the defendant of first-degree murder and a Los Angeles judge sentenced him to life in prison. News coverage of Mr. Harbur’s opening statement is available here. A court transcript of Mr. Harbur’s closing argument is available here.
In 2018, Mr. Harbur left the District Attorney’s Office to join Callahan & Blaine, California’s premier litigation firm.
Recent Victories for Clients
- As lead trial counsel in a bet-the-company case, secured settlement 2 days before the commencement of trial on behalf of large investment group and its corporate officers. This case involved testimony from 22 experts across medical, scientific and financial fields, as well as the involvement of 7 different government agencies, local, state and federal. Mr. Harbur’s ability to skillfully prepare the case for trial and manage an experienced trial team ultimately lead to a settlement among the parties and their various insurance carriers.
- Convinced prominent government agency to completely drop action against high-profile corporate officer, which involved allegations of fraud and other misconduct. Mr. Harbur became involved early in the process and, after extensive negotiations, convinced the agency to not file a lawsuit or comment publicly on the matter;
- Obtained complete dismissal with prejudice on behalf of corporate entity and its directors following civil enforcement action brought by prominent government agency, which had alleged fraud, extortion, false advertising and unlawful consumer practices against Mr. Harbur’s clients. Mr. Harbur defeated this case “on the papers,” meaning without the need for trial, deposition, or other costly litigation proceedings;
- Obtained complete defense outcome for corporation and its acting president in litigation involving allegations of trade secret misappropriation, defamation, unfair competition and false advertising. Mr. Harbur expertly cross-examined the opposition’s corporate officers and the matter resolved within weeks of these depositions;
- Obtained complete dismissal of data privacy breach class action brought against Mr. Harbur’s clients, a group of high-profile and very successful medical investors/providers. Mr. Harbur expertly guided this matter towards dismissal while at the same time handling and controlling media coverage related to the action, allowing his clients to remain focused on their core business rather than the lawsuit
In the News
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Orange County Bar Association, Member
- Board of Directors – Waymakers. Waymakers is one of Orange County’s largest and most important nonprofit organizations and is dedicated to supporting crime victims, sheltering children and resolving conflicts.
Business and Government Experience
- Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher, Litigation Associate
- Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office, Deputy District Attorney
- United States Attorney’s Office (Central District), Intern